30 Minute Meals · Mogambo · Sauces ·
Garlic Fried Chicken Sandwich with Pickled Onions and Jalapenos
Crispy buttermilk fried chicken with the fresh, spicy crunch of jalapeno and lime, with the sweet, garlicky deliciousness of Mogambo, this fried chicken sandwich is a showstopper, or sub in tofu for a vegan version that's at least as good.
Prep time: 15 minutes (plus marination time)
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1 skin on boneless chicken thigh
- ½ cup/125ml buttermilk
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ¼ red onion
- ½ lime
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 tbsp Mogambo Spiced Garlic Spread
- 1 bun
- 2 cups/500ml cooking oil approx
- Place the oil in a high sided pot/dutch oven. Never fill a pot more than ⅓ of the way with frying or you risk overflowing while frying. Oil fires are bad, folks.
- Place the chicken thigh in the buttermilk to cure/tenderize. Let sit 2 hours to overnight if possible.
- Slice the red onion and jalapeno, and squeeze the lime juice over. Allow the lime juice to pickle the veggies in the fridge for at least 15 minutes, overnight is fine. This removes the really sharp pungency of the onions so you can put tons on your sandwich, and the sharp, fresh acidity really brightens up the sandwich.
- Heat the oil to 175c/350f. This is higher than you want to cook at, but the temperature of the oil will drop when you add the chicken.
- When the oil is up to temp, mix the flour, salt, pepper and thyme, and add the chicken. Push the chicken into the dry mix to get nice, lumpy, craggy bits that will crisp up as it cooks. You can even leave the chicken sit in the dry mix in the fridge as long as overnight if you want, this gets a really nice, rough coating.
- Shake the excess flour off the chicken, and gently place in the oil. Reduce the heat to medium and allow the chicken to cook for around 5 minutes, and flip. Cook for a further 5 minutes. If the chicken is browning too quickly, just reduce the heat to minimum. When the chicken is brown and crispy on the outside after at least 10-12 minutes of cooking, allow to rest and drain on a cooling rack or kitchen paper.
- Toast your bun to your preference, we did it in a pan with a little butter, and spread the Mogambo on the buns. Place the jalapenos and onions on the bottom bun, then place the chicken on top, and add the top bun. Devour and wish you made another one. You should make 2 next time.
Make it vegan?: Marinate some firm tofu in soy and mirin, coat in the same dredge and fry the same way. Double dip in the dry mix (marinade, dredge in dry mix, back into the marinade, and then a second coating of dry mix) to get a nice thick coating.