This fresh, spicy, citrusy twist on roast chicken is as simple to cook as it is delicious.
- 1 chicken
- 4 tbsp Zesti Seasoning Salt
- 1 lime
- 1 handful of cilantro
- First, butterfly the chicken. Using a knife or kitchen shears, cut around 1cm either side of the backbone to remove it. Place the chicken on the board breast side up, and using the palm of your hand, press down to break the breast bone, which will allow the chicken to lay flat.
- Sprinkle the Zesti over the chicken and massage it into the skin. It's best if you can leave it marinade for 2 hours to overnight, but don't stress out about it if you don't have time.
- Place on a line tray in an oven preheated to 400f. Roast for 40-50 mins, until internal temperature at the thickest part of the thigh is 165f. If you don’t have a temperature probe, poke a knife into the thickest part of the thigh, and if the juices run clear, it’s cooked. If the juices are slightly pink, place back in the oven for another 5-10 minutes until cooked. Allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- To serve, cut the chicken into portions, and serve with lime leaves and hand torn cilantro.
Notes: Does butterflying a chicken yourself weird you out? Just ask your butcher to do it for you. Alternatively, just use a whole chicken and adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Want outrageously good sandwiches and salads for lunch? Roast 2 chickens and thank us later.