Akuri is a delightful Parsi scrambled eggs recipe that was popularized by Parsi/Irani cafes in Bombay (now Mumbai to many people).
It's something Jannine (one of our founders) ate quite regularly growing up, we were reminded of how much we missed eating our eggs this way when we brunched at Dishoom in London last year. They have a great take on Akuri, but we think our sandwich gives it a run for its money (not so humble brag).
- 3 large eggs
- 2 small shallots or 1 medium sized one
- 1 stalk of a scallion
- An inch of ginger
- 2 green bird's eye chilis, or Serrano chilis if you can't find the bird's eye chilis. This is pretty key to the flavour of this dish, so if you don't do well with spicy food, make sure to deseed your chilis!
- 1.5 tbsp Zing Ooomami Seasoning Salt
- 2 tbsp Zing Mogambo Garlic Spread
- 2 Brioche Buns
- 2 tablespoons ghee or cooking oil (but do ghee if you can!)
- Small fistful of cilantro to garnish
- 1-2 teaspoon of butter
- Finely chop shallots, ginger, chilis & the lone scallion. Set aside
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl and season with Zing Ooomami Seasoning Salt to taste.
- Heat ghee or oil in a non-stick pan and add aromatics to it. Sauté until the shallots turn golden brown
- Add the eggs, turn of the heat and scramble
- Garnish with roughly chopped cilantro & set aside.
- Slice through the buns, and lightly toast in a pan with with butter
- Slather the bread generously with Zing Mogambo Garlic Spread
- Evenly divide the eggs amongst the set (or not, depending on how much you like the person you're making the second sandwich for), cut down the middle & serve!
A fan favourite! Mogambo Spiced Garlic Spread has a smooth garlicky sweetness + a bright, lemony tang + a little spicy kick + perfumed with turmeric earthiness.
Salt + pepper, but way better! Natural MSG to supercharge any dish or craving. Ooomami is the pantry hero we all need so we made it. It's the answer to all the times we’ve asked “Is it missing something?" or "Does it need more salt?”