Looking for some fun easter desserts, or just some easter baking ideas in general? This simple carrot cake recipe is delicious, with just a touch of spice from the hot honey. We promise, this is one of the easter dessert recipes you’ll keep going back to all year round.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 90g unsalted butter
- 150g brown sugar
- 125g all purpose flour
- 150g carrot, finely grated
- 1.5g baking powder
- 1.5g baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg, plus one yolk
- 60g Buzz Hot Honey
- 4tbsp chopped almonds (see notes!)
- 2 tbsp chopped pistachios (see notes!)
- Pinch of edible rose petals (optional)
For the cream cheese icing:
- 60g unsalted butter (softened)
- ½ pack (113g) cream cheese
- 250g icing sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Start by combining the dry ingredients for the cake. Sift the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda, and stir to evenly distribute the baking powder and soda.
- Beat the butter and brown sugar together until it’s smooth and creamy. Add the eggs, and vigorously whisk until smooth. Add the carrot and Buzz and mix until evenly combined. Add this to the flour mix, add half of the almonds and stir until evenly combined.
- Add to a lined loaf pan and cook at 175c/350g for 45 minutes, until golden brown on top and just set. Allow to cool completely.
- While the cake cooks, make the icing. Beat the cream cheese and softened butter together until completely smooth. Sift ¼ of the icing sugar into the cream cheese mix, and beat until smooth. Repeat until all the icing sugar is added, add the salt, and stir until evenly combined. Allow to sit at room temperature, it will be easier to ice the cake than if it’s cold.
- When the cake is cooled, spread the icing over the cake while it’s still in the pan. Finish with the remaining almonds, the pistachios, and the rose petals if using. Allow to chill a little in the fridge, slice and serve. We topped with a little more Buzz!
Notes: Decorate your cake however you like! We loved adding nuts for texture, but swap them out for seeds, dried fruit, or just lots of extra hot honey!