The familiar, comforting flavours of cauliflower cheese, made a little bit more grown up and mature. Delicious, simple meal that ticks all the boxes.
- ½ head of cauliflower
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- 50g sharp cheddar (or vegan cheese if you’re so inclined)
- ½ tsp cornstarch
- 100ml milk (or almond)
- 2 tbsp salt (+1/2tsp for cauliflower)
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 180g dried spaghetti (or whatever pasta you enjoy/have)
- 1 tbsp Ooomami Seasoning Salt
- 2 tsp Hakka-ish Chili Crisp (optional)
- Cut cauliflower into florets. Don’t throw the root away, chop this up too, it’s getting pureed anyway.
- Heat a pan over a high heat. Add the oil, then the cauli and 1 tsp of salt. Cook until the cauli has developed a dark brown colour, then add the milk, reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook until tender, probably 3-4 mins.
- Place in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth, adding more liquid if needed. It should be similar in thickness to heavy cream. Add the pepper while blending.
- Grate the cheddar, and then add the cornstarch. Gently spirit until the cheese is coated - hot tip: this will stop the sauce from splitting.
- Put the cauliflower puree back in the pan you cooked it in, and bring it to a boil. Take it off the heat, and stir in the cheese until smooth.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the remaining salt. Cook the pasta to your liking, or according to package instructions. Toss the pasta through the sauce and serve. Finish with 1 tsp of Ooomami on each portion. Add Hakka-ish if you'd like a spicy kick.
Make it Vegan: Just sub the sharp cheddar for your favourite vegan cheese, and use almond milk rather than dairy. It will be just as good. Swap regular pasta for GF or brown rice pasta and you're not a gluten fan.
Salt + pepper but way better! Ooomami is the pantry hero we all need so we made it. It's the answer to all the times we wondered "does this need more salt?"