Pork Chops with Greens and Caramelized Shallots
by Zing Kitchen
One pan meals! This one pan wonder only takes 20 minutes to cook, is healthy, and absurdly good. Our take on Zesti-spiced pork is the perfect midweek dinner for when you want a home cooked meal, but just don't have the time to prep!
- 2 thick cut, bone in pork chops
- 150g Yu Choy (but you could sub in Bok Choy or any other greens of your choice!)
- 1 shallot
- 4 tbsp Zesti Seasoning Salt
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- 1 tsp Mogambo Spiced Garlic Spread
- 2 fresh chillies (optional)
- Rub the Zesti into the pork chops. You can do this just before cooking, but it’s best if done for at least 2 hours, to overnight. The salt and acid will cure the pork chop as it marinades, effectively dry brining it.
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan over a medium heat. We used a cast iron, but you can use whatever you have. When it’s hot, add the pork chops. We used 1 inch thick chops, and they took around 10-12 mins on each side.
- While that cooks, trim the ends off your shallots, peel them, and cut them in half lengthways. Rinse your greens if they need a wash, and set aside.
- Halfway through cooking, turn the chops, and add the shallots and greens. Season them with salt, and let them sit. Let them colour until browned.
- After 4-5 minutes, turn the veggies over, and finish cooking. Remove the chops from the pan, and let them rest for 5 minutes before serving. You’d rest your steak - rest your chops too!
- While the pork rests, spoon the Mogambo into the pan, and stir it into the greens. You can mix the shallots into the greens here, or leave them separate.
- There’s no fancy serving instructions here, just dig in and enjoy your meal. Pork chops are underrated!
Make it vegan: Sub in the pork for eggplant, a portobello mushroom, or a thick slice of cauliflower. Add whatever veggies you want, we added some fresh chillies but feel free to add whatever is knocking about in your fridge!