15 Minute Meals · Budget Friendly · Seasonings · Vegan · Vegetarian · Zesti ·
Jerk Spiced Carrot Kosambari
Most South Indian or Maharastrian homes in India make their own version of Kosambari, which is essentially a salad. Some use cucumber as a base and others use carrots, but what stays the same are the punchy, earthy undertones that come from a tadka of mustard seeds, moong dal & curry leaves.
We've imagined our version a little differently, as the coming together of this traditional preparation with the Jamaican jerk-inspired flavours in our Zesti Seasoning Salt. The results honestly surprised us too - this flavour combo works so well! What's even better is it'll take you about 7-10 min to make from start to finish.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- 2 large carrots, peeled & cut into thin matchsticks (or shredded works too)
- A handful of crushed peanuts (roasted, unsalted)
- 1-2 tbsp Zesti Seasoning Salt (dial this up or down based on your preference)
- 1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds
- 3-4 curry leaves
- 1 Serrano chilli, de-seeded and chopped fine
- Mix your carrots & chilli with the Zesti Seasoning Salt in a bowl & set aside
- Make the tadka: heat ghee or coconut oil in a small saucepan until you see it start to smoke. Add mustard seeds and wait for them to start popping, before quickly taking the pan off the heat. (If you havent made a tadka before, make sure you're not drifting into a fabulous day dream as you do this step. Mustard seeds have been known to travel quite a distance & have a penchant for human eyes. We speak from experience.) Add the curry leaves and give them a stir.
- Add your prepared tadka to the carrots. Toss well & top with crushed peanuts. That's it!