This spicy braised beef is an easy beef recipe that feels luxurious and has that perfect melt-in-your-mouth quality! The complex umami packed flavor of Sacha-ish will make these short ribs date-night worthy!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 3-4 hours
- 2 pieces (approx 300g each) of beef short rib
- ½ an onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 4 tbsp Sacha-ish Savoury Chili Condiment
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- ½ tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp flour
- Dust the short ribs in the flour. Place a pot or dutch oven over a high heat and add the oil. When hot, add the short ribs, and cook on each side until browned. Don’t be shy here, this will develop a lot of flavor, so get them good and browned. Set aside.
- Add the onions to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until they’re caramelized and add the garlic. Cook for 20-30 seconds, add the short ribs back to the pan and add enough water to cover around ⅔ of the way. Add the soy and vinegar, bring to a boil, cover and cook on a low heat for 3-4 hours. You want the meat tender enough that it’s almost falling off the bone. To test, stick a knife or fork into the meat, and if there’s any resistance, cook for another half hour and test again.
- When the meat is tender, remove the lid and increase the heat to medium, and allow the sauce to reduce until it’s a thick, rich gravy consistency.
- We served topped with green onions, with udon noodles, carrots and brussel sprouts, but you can serve with any starch and vegetables you like. Honestly, this dish is so outrageously delicious that it will be amazing no matter what you serve it with.