This classic chinese dish makes the perfect breakfast, lunch or dinner, and is so simple to prepare that you'll be making it regularly.
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 8 cups water (can be broth of any type)
- 3 tbsp Zing Mala Chili Seasoning Salt
- 1 egg per person
- 1 teaspoon salt, add more to taste
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Thumb sized piece of ginger – peeled and cut into thin strips
- Crispy shallots (optional)
- Rinse the rice once and drain the water.
- Add the rice and water into a pot.
- Add in the salt and Mala and stir.
- Bring the water to a boil, uncovered. Then, turn the heat to low and cover the pot.
- Let the congee simmer for about an hour at low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Cook until it’s the consistency you like, adding more water if it’s too thick or simmering for longer if it’s too thin.
- In a separate pan fry an egg to your liking.
- Serve congee in a bowl with fried egg on top, green onions, crispy shallots if using, and an extra sprinkle of Mala.
Notes: This recipe can be made easily adding additional meats, proteins, and vegetables, use whatever's in your fridge and make it your own! It also makes a great breakfast if you have leftovers.