This spicy, savoury comforting dish is inspired by the Taiwanese classic “Three Cup Tofu”, but is twice as easy to prepare.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1 packet (approx 454g) firm tofu
- ½ cup Sacha-ish Savoury Chili Condiment
- 1 tsp of cooking oil
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 1 handful of Thai basil
- 2 green onions (sliced)
- 1 red chili (optional)
- Slice the tofu into 4 slices lengthways. Alternatively, cut into bitesize cubes.
- In a container, add the Sacha-ish and water, and stir to combine. Add the tofu and half the green onions. Allow to marinate anywhere from 10 minutes to overnight.
- Heat a pan over a medium-high heat, and add the cooking oil. Add the tofu, and allow to brown on either side, approx 4-5 minutes. Stir the cornstarch and salt through the marinade and add to the pan. Bring to a boil while stirring, and allow the sauce to thicken. Taste and add more salt if needed, add the basil and stir through. .
- Add to a dish or bowl, and top with the remaining green onions and the chili if using. We served it with rice, but you can add any starch or veggies you like.
Chefs tips: Thai basil is available in most supermarkets, but if you can’t find it, just use regular basil.